Monday, August 15, 2016

Access Matters

Access to medication or management tools for any disease is important.
For me, a person with Type 1 diabetes my priorities are insulin, test strips, and a mode to do both. Meter, and either insulin pump or insulin pen/syringes.  The rest are important - insulin pump, continuous glucose monitor, but the first are critical.

Today I called Express Scripts about not being ableo to refill my test strips, and while I was on hold for half an hour due to them needeing to release it from a weird queue it was in, I asked about a  co-pay discount card I received at Friends for Life by the strip manufacturer.  Since my strips are not a preferred brand, I pay a higher co-pay than the preferred brand.  The preferred brand doesn't work well for me.  Unfortunately I was told that Express Scripts doesn't honor these discounts with mail order, only at the local pharmacy.  But, they won't approve that either. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Grumble.

I previously wrote about my history with items not being covered: On Health Insurance

No comments:

Post a Comment