Sunday, September 10, 2017

Fundraising x3 and a $5 Ask

Fundraising for 3 organizations at the same time IS a little challenging, but I've never been one to not try to do something because it was difficult.  There are so many people in need across the country due to weather, that it has become understandably harder to raise money for things that aren't emergency related.  However, I'll keep trying, and here's why.

Each of the three organizations I am raising money for has had a positive impact in my 40-something year career with type 1 diabetes, and that's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I hope that after reading the stories you might be inspired to donate $5 to one of the three.  Every penny really does count, and no donation is too small.  $1 can make a difference!


Camp Nejeda Foundation:

There are so many reasons I loved attending diabetes camp.   I was surrounded by people who "got it" and understood immediately what I needed not just the medical staff, but the counselors and other campers as well.  Camp Nejeda is also where I started to formulate my diabetes-self, the stepping stone to how today, so many years later, I still associate myself with my disease.  It was at Camp where I learned skills to handle the emotional and psychological impacts of living with diabetes.
Camper cabins at Camp Nejeda

The magic of diabetes camp didn't end when I stopped going.  The friends and connections I made then are my friends for life   Thank goodness for social media and email  both help to stay in touch and getting support so much easier than sending a letter in the mail (though I do miss those days!)

More recently Camp Nejeda has understood that until there is a cure for type 1 diabetes, adults with type 1 need support as well.   I have been working with them for the last 3 years (and planning for 2018) on the Camp Nejeda Survive and Thrive Bootcamp weekend for adults with T1D - a weekend filled with education, support, and fun, for adults 18+ (see 2017's program: http://bit.ly/2xeA0co)

Fundraising link: http://bit.ly/2xXNRBM  ($280 of $800 left to raise by September 25th)



JDRF
MiniMed 670G

Where do I start with JDRF...?  When I was diagnosed, there was no 'R" in JDRF. It was JDF - Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.  The research they are working on is not only for the cure, but the prevention of diabetes, and equally important, better treatment options for those of us with t1D today.
I can't begin to adequately do justice for all they are involved with, but I can tell you how important it all is, and how important donations are to keep it all going.  They were even involved with bringing the MiniMed 670G hybrid closed-loop system (the one I'm using) to market! And they've helped many other of the diabetes tech companies as well!  

Fundraising link: http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/helpcurep
 ($620 of $2,500 left to raise by October 1st)


American Diabetes Association


Last but certainly not least, is the American Diabetes Association.  Until recently, I haven't had much involvement with the ADA. That all changed in 2015 when I broached the subject with them about local events for adults with type 1 diabetes.  They were game, and we worked together on a handful of events over the last few years.  I have also have (slowly) become involved in government advocacy through them.   The adults with type 1 programming is on hold due to some restructuring but I do hope to bring it back.  Fundraising linkhttp://bit.ly/2eQ9WxH ($215 left to raise of $250)


There so many deserving organizations that are in need of support from us, I know none of us can donate to everyone.  But I am asking for you to consider a $5 donation to one of the organizations above.  Just think - if all of my connections were able to do this, I'd have the remaining $1,510 raised in no time!  Many thanks to those who have already donated, and have supported me in other ways.  Much love to you all! 








No comments:

Post a Comment