Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Twitter & the Diabetes Online Community (#DOC)

I created my Twitter account in 2009 or the purpose of contacting a company for customer service issues.  By June 2015 I had about 150 followers, mostly people I had an email address for that were also on Twitter.  The ole' "you follow me and I'll follow you."  I had no idea how to attract followers, even though I googled-it a few times.  The suggestions were to join a Twitter-chat, which made no sense to me.

I was fortunate to have gone to Camp Nejeda (overnight diabetes camp in New Jersey); and through Facebook been in contact with my fellow campers and counselors.  All seemed right in my #DOC world.  

That all changed in July when I attended #MasterLab, (as a guest of Medtronic Diabetes) where I live Tweeted   From barely posting a Tweet in months, I learned very quickly the ins and outs of Tweeterand slowly but surely I was gaining followers.

The Tweeting didn't stop there though.  I learned about the #doc and Twitter chats #dsma, and #dcde.  I try to participate each week and sad when I can't.  The folks of these chats have become an extended family to me.

Today I have 482 followers, and I log into Twitter a few times a day to see what's going on.  It's become the first place I go to get a pulse on what's happening in the word of diabetes!

No comments:

Post a Comment