Monday, November 9, 2015

10 things to feel lucky about

I've had Type 1 diabetes for over 40  years, and Celiac for about 38 years. Today I am feeling lucky.  It was a very diabetes weekend with an American Diabetes Association meeting where I connected with people from many areas around New England; and a #betesontap apple picking adventure.   Having a very diabetes weekend makes me thankful/lucky/grateful.

1. I am lucky that in 1974 when I was diagnosed there were some issues with the initial diagnosis but that it was diagnosed with no DKA, or coma.
The back story:  On April 24, 1974 my mom went to a PTA meeting and one of her friends who was a nurse saw me and noticed I didn't look well and insisted we go to the hospital.  The ER lost the urine sample; they thought it was other things they did a blood count, but not blood sugar.  The blood count was high, which they said was an infection so they were going to keep me in the hospital overnight.  I believe they started me on IV insulin but much later than they should have.  My mom says she was very annoyed with them (her words) and what they were doing and had me moved to a Columbia Presbyterian hospital in NYC  to 
well known pediatrician.  

2. I am lucky that at the time of diagnosis my blood glucose was around 500 (thanks mom for that info), and not higher.

3. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed with Celiac at age 6, when no one knew what it was. Lucky in the fact that they found out what was making me so sick.

4.  I am thankful that when I was 12 my parents agreed to send me to overnight camp, Camp Nejeda. Not just any camp, but at camp for kids with T1D.

5. I am lucky that so many years later I am still in touch with people from camp that I was a camper with, that were my campers, and that were my counselors. To this day I still credit  Camp with how I deal with the social aspects of having diabetes.

6. I am grateful that despite my retina looking like Swiss cheese from thousands of laser burns due to diabetes retinopathy (complication) I can still see.

7. I am lucky that I have friends that offer to pick me up when we go out at night since they know my night vision isn't the best from the above mentioned laser.

8. I am lucky to have the love and support of my family.

9. I am grateful that I have access to an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor.  I feel that both have made diabetes management a lot easier.

10. I am grateful, thankful, and lucky to have been selected as a MiniMed Ambassador. I've learned a lot; connected with other people with diabetes I wouldn't have had the opportunity to have met & have found support I didn't realize I was missing.




No comments:

Post a Comment