Tuesday, July 14, 2015

True Confessions Explained

For the last 2 years or so  have been using Facebook to host a page called "True Confessions of a Type 1 Diabetic" and decided to take it to the world of blogging.  The came to me after an appointment I had with my diabetes educator. Leading up to the appointment I had fallen off the wagon. I had become detached from my diabetes and had a good dose of diabetes burnout. I was doing the bare minimum. I debated cancelling the appointment as I was ashamed of having nothing to share. However I kept the appointment and decided instead to use it as a turning point.  I  didn't cancel the appointment. Instead I owned up to my problems and asked them to help me come up with a plan and get me back on track. 

It felt like a  confessional, or what I imagined  a confessional to be like.  I was blatantly honest to my diabetes medical professional. It was empowering. It was just what I needed.  Since that appointment several years ago I have been going strong, and am in my best diabetes health of my life! 


Side note - I rarely call myself a diabetic.  Typically I say I have diabetes.  But "True Confessions of a Person with Type 1 Diabetes" doesn't roll off the tongue very easily!


1 comment: