Tuesday, January 17, 2017

More than my A1C

I know I am more than my A1C.  

I know that my total health is important, and that trying to keep highs and lows at a minimum is important.  

But today's A1C result was 5.9 and I have to say I am damn  proud of that number. 

5.9 is my lowest A1C in my 40 something year career with type 1 diabetes.
My endocrinologist  commented that my diabetes is in "tight control" which is also something I haven't heard before.

My goal was not to get my A1C below 6.  My goal was and remains  to keep it between 6-6.5 where it's been for a number of years, thanks to my continuous glucose monitor.

For the most part I have always done a pre-bolus.  I've figured out how to use different bolus options for pizza and Chinese, which I wrote about a few weeks ago:   
You Can't Eat That, or Can You?  The only thing I changed in the last few months has been when my CGM alerts on high.  I set that to 180 so if I do need to take a correction bolus, it can get going before my blood sugar gets too high for my liking.  
So, while I know I am more than my A1C, I still celebrate this small victory! #itsthelittlethings




No comments:

Post a Comment