Friday, May 19, 2017

Diabetes Blog Week Day 5: More Than Diabetes


Today is the last day of Diabetes Blog Week, ending with a great prompt: More than Diabetes
Lets wrap up the week by sharing a little more about ourselves, beyond the chronic illness we or our loved ones live with.  Share an interest, hobby, passion, something that is YOU.  If you want to explore how it relates to or helps with diabetes you can.   Or let it be a part of you that is completely separate from diabetes, because there is more to life than just diabetes!  (This topic is a suggestion from the 2016 #DBlogWeek survey.)

I am having a bit of confusion with how I identify myself these days.  I am many things, but I am all of those things along with having diabetes.  


As I sit here contemplating what to share, I'll start with travel.   I have always loved to explore new places both near and far.  Some of my favorites have been  Italy, Australia, Portugal,  Japan, Spain,  Israel, Italy - oh, wait did I say Italy twice?  Alaska.  Some of my favorite aspects of travel is trying new food, shopping, and just experiencing different cultures.   Wearing an insulin pump with an integrated CGM helps make change in food, exercise, and time a lot easier.  


cats in Aruzzo, Italy 


I am an animal lover.  I started volunteering at a local cat shelter, Stray Pets in Need,  5 years ago or so, and I love it. Some days it's hard not to round them all up and take them home, but I know the hour or two I spend with them each week helps them socialize, and of course the important re-filling the food bowl and making their habitats all fresh.



I am a gluten free foodie. Yes, there is really good gluten free food out there, and often pick places of travel based on gluten free food availability.  Italy, for example is very gluten free friendly.

I'm also a daughter, sister, wife, aunt, sister in law, cousin, friend.

Most of all I'm grateful to be happy, healthful, and ready to take on what life has to offer.






No comments:

Post a Comment